Councillor - Micklegate
- I have represented the Micklegate and preceding Bishophill wards since 1982, first as a city councillor in the old York District Council and since 1995 for the unitary City of York Council, occupying a wide variety of responsibilities.
- I am currently the Labour Group spokesperson for City Strategy, vice chair of the main Council planning committee, chair of the Council's Licensing & Gambling Act committee, and also sit on the Safer York Partnership's Nightsafe task group - which is particularly pertinent to night time safety issues at the city end of Micklegate ward. I also jointly chair the Micklegate Ward Committee with fellow councillors Sandy Fraser and Julie Gunnell. I take turns with my other ward Councillors to attend the various residents association meetings in the ward, and do regular ward walkabouts with senior directors to try to get the council to sort on-going problems (notably street cleaning). I am a governor at St. Paul's Primary School, where my daughter is currently a pupil.
- I am particularly interested in environmental, planning and transport issues, and previously led on Transport for most of the time Labour was last in office, helping to deliver the City Centre footstreets scheme, developing the Council's traffic and parking strategy which led to the progressive introduction of the current 5 Park & Ride services, the Cities first cycling and walking strategies, respark for areas previously blighted by commuter parking, and later on the Bus Quality Partnership - which led to a 50% growth in bus usage over it's first five years. On planning & the environment, I helped to produce the Council's first environment strategy and set up the Local Agenda 21 and later York Environment forum, commissioned the first bio-diversity audit and the doorstep recycling strategy. In opposition, I have chaired the Council's all party Cycling review in 2004 and Traffic Congestion Scrutiny Committees which made some important cross party recommendations on York's future transport strategy, sadly not in the main adopted by the Lib Dem executive. I also lead for Labour on the Local Development Framework Working Group which is overseeing the development of the future planning framework for the city.
- In the ward, I helped deliver many schemes to get traffic out of residential areas, pedestrianised Terry Avenue past Rowntree Park, & was vice chair of the trust that delivered the Millenium bridge and riverside walk improvements. Supported improvements & additional facilities for local schools and in our local parks, helped successfully oppose the loss of St. Clement's church hall and steered through it's purchase for community use, and supported the preservation trust in developing it's proposals and successful bid for refurbishing it.
- I've advised many local residents on planning applications, licensing objections, and worked with local traders in Micklegate & Bishopthorpe road (on last year's brilliant evening road closure event).
I can take up residents' concerns via the option below, by e-mail to email@example.com or by post to 27 White House Gardens, York, YO24 1DZ.